Pages

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Alpine Paradise

I'm flying to Iceland tomorrow. Yesterday I took one last hike -- a hike I've been wanting to try for years. It's a thirteen-mile loop trail that passes six gorgeous mountain lakes, three miles over especially rugged territory with no real trail. How beautiful they are on a sunny day in mid-October!

Not all were named well, though -- Chair Peak Lake (right), what a clunker of a title, what an enchanting pond, rounded rocks, surrounded by steep cliffs 1500 feet up on both sides, snow still clinging to upper slopes, a waterfall cascading down to Snow Lake a thousand feet below.
I stopped to have a quick dip in another beauty, Gem Lake (below) -- green and lush and autumnal as Chair Peak Lake is rugged and wintry.

Coming down towards the always magnificent Snow Lake (left), I met two ladies who were carrying mushrooms I think they called Panchini, and recommended for eating -- I found their source and brought one back myself. Dare I risk it?

But enough talk. Photos say what needs saying best.








3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's just beautiful David. And to think that we are the cause of it! Cheers

God bless you David

Paul Boire

Alan said...

Hello David! I was wondering when you might be out to the west coast again. I live in California and would love to attend one of your talks.

God Bless.

David B Marshall said...

Hi, Alan. I am preparing a new book with a publisher based in southern California, which will hopefully come out next year. If all goes well, my co-authors and I will do some speaking in LA, San Diego, and / or the Bay Area, probably in summer 2011 or later. In that case, I'll hope to see you at one of these events!